The news conference comes on the heels of the Governor’s refusal to further extend the public comment period on hydrofracking. Senator Ball hopes to rally the public, the legislature and the Governor to support a key piece of legislation he created that will set tough, new standards for safe hydrofracking in New York.
The Property Owner’s Bill of Rights (S5879) includes the following measures:
- Mandatory water and soil testing by an official governmental third-party for presence of chemicals used during the fracturing process prior to drilling.
- All fracking companies must agree to sign a Presumption of Causation Agreement with the State of New York.
- Mandatory full reimbursement to property owners by negligent gas companies for 150% of the real estate’s market value of property, based on estimates prior to drilling, and 100% of the cost for full remediation of soil and water. The company will also be accountable for full reimbursement of the land owner’s legal fees.
- Mandatory full remediation of soil and water, and free medical monitoring for life. All settlements are not to be taxed.
- Allow local governments to enact... Continue